Home Extension specialists in London for over 30 years
Professional Loft Conversions services also available
Part of the Court Home Extension Company
Specialists in loft conversions, roofing, home extensions and home building
6m & 8m extensions
For a period of six years between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019, house holders will be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under the ‘permitted development’ regulations.
The size limits for rear extensions, under permitted development rights, will double from 4 metres to 8 metres for detached houses, and from 3 metres to 6 metres for all other houses.
An extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
- No more than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings
- Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres
- Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres
- Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house
- Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms
*These increased limits (between 3m and 6m and between 4m and 8m respectively) are subject to the prior notification of the proposal to the Local Planning Authority and the implementation of a neighbour consultation scheme. If objections are received, the proposal might not be allowed.